MAKE IT SIMPLE


It has been a long, cold winter here in the northeast and one way we've passed the time on weekends is to curl up next to the fire with a nice cocktail! I'm sure I've blogged about this before, but as we start the journey into summer, it's worth repeating. Simple syrup is incredibly easy to make and a necessary ingredient for several drinks. First the recipe, then a few drink tips: Get yourself ready for this tough one...
1.) Same parts sugar and water, bring to boil. GOT THAT? If you're like me and struggle to focus at times, that means for a nice batch of simple syrup take one cup of sugar and add one cup of water. Bring to a boil and the sugar will dissolve. Let cool then place in container (I put in a small bottle I bought at Target for $1. This can be used for a few weeks when stored in the refrigerator.
2.) For a delicious margarita I place two shots of good tequila (like Patron) in a cocktail shaker with ice, add half a shot of simple syrup, half a shot of triple sec and fresh lime/lemon juice combo. Pour into a glass with ice with a salted rim (or not). YUM!
3.) To make a quick and delicious cosmo, I fill a cocktail shaker with ice, two shots of vodka, splash of cranberry juice, fresh lime juice and half a shot of simple syrup. Shake and stream into martini glass, garnish with lime wedge.
4.) We LOVE a whiskey sour in the hot sun, so I make up a batch of freshly squeezed lime juice (are you seeing a theme here...I use a lot of fresh lime juice in many of my drinks), add ice to a cocktail shaker, two shots of whiskey (don't waste the good stuff on a whiskey sour), half a shot of simple syrup and fresh lime juice. Shake like you're washing a dirty shirt in your hands then pour into a glass of ice, garnish with lime.

Popular Posts