MOD-URN


I often chuckle when someone tells me they want a "modern look" because ideas of what, exactly, constitutes modern design is a varied as the people who request it. The literal definition of modern is anything relating to the present, current moment. But what if you're currently sitting in a modern restaurant in the birthplace of mid-century design, Palm Springs, California? On a recent visit to the desert oasis to visit my parents, we popped into one of the latest, most chic modern restaurants in the area. Once again I had to chuckle when I sat down on chairs that looked like something I saw at a garage sale the week before and ate off a table most would plop on the sidewalk with a note that read, "FREE." The difference? I was eating a $25 salad on that table. How did they make it "modern?" A very creative designer found these old pieces and updated them by painting them in high-gloss white. Yup, it's that simple to go from shitty to chic! As we exited the hip establishment after the expensive, unfulfilling meal, I stopped at a collection of urns as they looked vaguely familiar. I picked one up and there it was...a true sign of modern design...AN IKEA STICKER. My point is not a new one, it's plain and simple; to create a cool look, WHATEVER YOU WANT, doesn't have to cost a lot of money. This popular, expensive establishment took furniture from someones grandmothers basement, painted it white and said it was COOL. And guess what? We all bought it!

Popular Posts