A PENNY SAVED



I've often said one of the more challenging aspects of what I do (and sometimes most rewarding) is dealing with big ideas on little budgets. While managing budgets of any scale is an important piece to any job, managing expectations is key to keeping a project on track (and clients happy). This month I find myself with a lovely couple renovating their children's bathroom. When I first met them they asked if we could completely transform the space for less than the cost of a prom tuxedo rental. While I love a challenge, this one seemed a bit off...but, sure, why not? Paint is transformative (as I've always said), add a new mirror, lighting, artwork and you can make a huge impact if done properly. They were looking for a little more bang for their few bucks, so this is where my managing of expectations comes into play.  Things like tile and vanities can get out of hand in a bathroom and cause budgets to burst, so I explained that there are incredible choices at places like Home Depot and Lowe's (which usually leads to an eye roll or noise of some kind). So, I brought a few choices from an expensive tile store and one from Lowe's. I can't tell the difference, can you? While they wanted a shower floor with river rock, I explained that that's both overdone and slightly expensive, and these "penny tiles" come in a variety of colors, look beautiful and are incredibly budget friendly. This unique, cool, unexpected look was worth every penny!

Popular Posts