FAUX REAL


I rarely pat myself on the back, and certainly would never hold a rally to praise my accomplishments, but I must admit I saw this trend coming a long time ago; tiles that look like wood. This certainly isn't the first time I've mentioned using these tiles, but I had to laugh when I read a piece in a high-end Interior Design magazine this week calling faux-wood tiles "the hottest trend in design right now." Really? I first started using them, not to trick someone into believing they were real, but because I thought they looked cool and different. I hate fake wood and I loathe anything laminate, but I adore these tiles because they're good looking, durable and affordable (depending on where you shop). The photos above are both examples of recent floor installs of wood-look-tile, the top was $1.79/square foot at the Home Depot and the bottom, from a custom tile store, was $8.50/square foot. To make an old barn look a tad more lively, we are installing these tiles in a herringbone pattern (stay tuned for photo) and in another home I installed these on a wall behind a vanity in a half bath for a little added drama. If you're looking to make a real impact, try going fake!

Popular Posts