THE UGLY SIDE OF CHRISTMAS

I don't mean to sound like Debbie Downer, but people who say there's no such thing as an ugly baby are LYING.  No, this is not an ugly-child bashing session, I'm merely point out that sometimes, and more often than not, beauty truly is in the eye of the beholder.  This also goes for decorating and especially holiday decorating.  Again, I hate to sound like Scrooge, but I just don't understand the people that fill their front yards with inflatable nonsense.  During the day when it's turned off it just looks like Santa and his friends had a rough night at the holiday party the night before.  Trees can also get pretty rough looking, as evident in my home.  I walked in the door last night after a particularly long day, stepped up to my remote control (I've mentioned this in past years..everyone from Home Depot to Bed Bath and Beyond tacky sells them, plug your trees lights into them then light via remote, which comes in handy when you have multiple trees like me. I then use them throughout the year so I can turn lamps on when walking into a dark house). One of our trees looked like the drunk, inflatable Santa had decorated it...lights were haphazardly placed, ornaments looked sad and off and, well, this wackado designer decided to undecorate the whole thing and start over. Here are just a few tips to making a pretty tree even better (in my humble opinion).
1.) While there is nothing like the sweet smell of a lovely Christmas tree, hands down, pre-lit artificial trees look much better and take heavier ornaments with pride.  Of the five trees I have this year, four are artificial and many of the ornaments would not hold on my real noble fir.
2.) If you fake it then do what I do and put fresh wreaths around the house (Home Depot has them now for as low as $7.99), I also string fresh garland up our banister and down the dining room table.
3.) I prefer ALL WHITE lights because my ornaments POP off of them and I pack my trees FULL of ornaments, starting at the trunk and working my way forward. DO NOT GET TRICKED INTO BELIEVING FAKE CANDLES SMELL LIKE TREES, THEY DO NOT!
4.) On my real tree (I love noble furs because they have stronger branches to hold ornaments longer) I begin by placing lights around the trunk. That way when you walk by it they look like they are twinkling. I then work my way out and wrap them around the branches. For an 8' tree I usually put no less than 800 lights.
Whatever you do, however tall or small your tree is, just have FUN and ignore the advice of yahoos like me or morning shows that show how to tie ribbons to look like past presidents. Don't lose sight of what this time of year is all about...family and friends and enjoying time together!

Popular Posts