WHEN GOOD THINGS COME IN SMALL PACKAGES




Two things people frequently say make me crazy...well, let's be honest, MANY of the things people say make me crazy, but today I will only focus on two.  I mean it's only Monday, right? 1.) Vibrant paint colors will make a room look smaller and closed-in and 2.) Kitchens are incredibly expensive to update.  Now, don't get me wrong, we could find examples to contradict both points, but I'm here to prove the opposite.  The tiny kitchen above was transformed for under $1,500.00 in less than one week.  How, you ask?  Paint, new counter tops and a new refrigerator is all it took.  I've mentioned in the last several weeks about small space design, as is the case with most apartments I design in Manhattan, where space saving is key to any design, especially in a kitchen. Home Depot and Lowe's have smaller refrigerators suited for tighter spaces (note the regular refrigerator on the top stuck out like a swollen foot, where the more sleek, smaller refrigerator looks right at home). Other tricks used to make the small space look more open and bright included removing the cabinet doors above the refrigerator to create open shelving, swapping out the microwave cart for something smaller that didn't block the window, hanging work items on the wall to free up counter space and changing the dated, dark linoleum floors for a more modern, clean, sleek look.  Many of us get so freaked out at the idea of spending our savings on remodeling kitchens that we allow ourselves to live in substandard spaces, when sometimes all it takes is a stroll down the aisle of your local paint store and a little time and patience.  Or, you can call me and I'll calm you down!

Popular Posts