SLIP INTO SOMETING MORE MODERN


My number one go-to, inexpensive furniture resource is www.overstock.com.  While the website can sometimes be a tad overwhelming with the amount of product, if you type just about anything in the search bar, chances are they'll have it.  I've blogged here about finding mid-century knock-offs for a fraction of the price, great rugs, side tables, lamps, etc.  While these pieces are perfect for staging, when I purchase items for clients I'm designing for, I often have to doctor up some of the items.  For example, one client recently asked for a dining room table and chairs to fit her modern/traditional home and, as is most often the case, she didn't want to spend a fortune.  A quick pop on most furniture websites found nothing for less than a few thousand dollars...even the chairs were a minimum of $299/each.  So, loaded with a few cups of coffee and armed with an active mouse, I headed to www.overstock.com where I found these bland microfiber chairs for $229 for SIX!  Microfiber, I thought, would be great in a kid and pet occupied home.  Then I popped into Home Goods where I picked up these slipcovers for $9.99/each (if you're doing the math, that's under $50 per chair TOTAL...far under the $299/each budget).  True to my design form, I've blended less expensive pieces with the homeowners antique rug, a more modern light fixture and round dining table from Armani Home.  The lesson for today and take-away...even sad, ugly pieces can attend the ball if you put a nice slip on it!

Popular Posts