MUMS (NOT) THE WORD!

It's no secret I love this time of year and adore our neck of the east coast woods, but one thing I DESPISE about fall is everyone who falls in love with MUMS.  I just don't get them, sorry.  I think they look like a line of old lady hairdos and just about every grocery store, nursery, and hardware store have them out on display. UGH. YUK. BLAH.  Phew, glad I got that off my chest.  So what do I do, exactly, for fall and winter flower arrangements if I don't like the one thing that could survive a hurricane?  I walk around our property and pick up fallen leaves, twigs, tree branches, berries, etc. and I come home and arrange them in an unexpected way.  I found an old copper bowl on a hike one year, so that becomes a lovely home to pine cones I collect on hikes, berries, gourds, etc.  Sometimes if I find a really cool twig or tree branch I'll spray paint it glossy white or black and put it in a vase in our dining room, I'll use leaves as drink coasters, carve out mini-pumpkins and fill them with cinnamon sticks and twigs…I'll do just about anything with natures discards, but one thing I'll never do is display a MUM on my front porch!  GET CREATIVE FOLKS! (and email me your pictures!)

Popular Posts