HUMPTY DUMPLINGS

I like to think of myself as a fairly positive person, so it always makes me chuckle when I hear someone say, "it could always be worse!"  True.  I just got a paper cut, but I guess I also could've cut my finger off!  Instead of stepping in dog poop I could have eaten it.  You had a bumpy flight, well at least it didn't crash!  So when I say I felt cruddy with a nasty cold last week, I guess I should be thankful that I don't have Ebola!  When I get a cold, especially in the frigid days of fall and winter, I love to treat myself to comfort foods.  Last week as I slogged along, sneezing and coughing my way through, I craved one thing; chicken and dumplings.  And a cheesy 90's romantic movie, so I guess I craved two creature comforts.  With a high fever and even higher expectations, I headed to our cookbook library and pulled out one of my go-to's, "America's Test Kitchens: The Best Simple Recipes."  In less than an hour I changed my mood and my temperature!
CUTE DUMPLINGS:
This cookbook was designed for someone like me.  I love to eat but hate to cook, but thanks to simple, easy to prep recipes I've started to fall in love with the process.  So, here's what you'll need:

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
2/3 cup water
2 large eggs, lightly beaten with salt and pepper
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 onion chopped fine (light a candle next to your chopping block to avoid tearing up)
2 carrots peeled and sliced thin
1 celery rib, sliced thin
8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 rotisserie chicken, skin discarded, meat shredded into bite-sized pieces (about 3 cups)

FIRST: whisk flour, water, eggs, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in bowl: set aside
THEN: melt butter in dutch oven over medium-high heat.  Add onion, carrots, and celery until lightly browned, about five minutes.  Stir in broth and bring to boil.  Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, about 10-15 minutes.
FINALLY stir chicken into pot, season with salt and pepper and return to simmer.  Working quickly, use a teaspoon measuring spoon to drop pieces of dough into soup.  Don't fret, but them everywhere!  Simmer, covered, until dumplings are set..about 1 to 2 minutes then serve hot!

Popular Posts