PAINT SAMPLE



I know, I know it's Tuesday and I haven't blogged in a few days, but I've been busier than Justin Bieber's Publicist trying to stay ahead of his rash behavior.  Speaking of rashes, I've broken out in a few with the level of pollen in our neighborhood, but that hasn't stopped me from forging ahead with various projects.  As I've mentioned many times before, the ever-changing economy means a constant shift in my business.  Where ten years ago I was hired to design entire homes with no budget restrictions whatsoever, today budgets are as central to the design plan as fabric for a sofa or paint colors.  I've also been staging more and more, which wasn't always my favorite thing to do.  Staging is literally setting the stage for perspective buyers to see the potential in a space.  I often tell homeowners that the advice I give when staging is the polar opposite of design; erase any personality (to some degree) in order to cater to a more broad audience. I also try to spend as little as possible when staging a home…who, after all, wants to pour money into a home when selling is the goal?  One little trick I do over and over which has bled into my bigger design projects, is painting canvases with stripes and fun colors.  I love to wander into the Home Depot or Lowes and ask for the "discarded paint" which has usually been specially mixed and either returned or just abandoned.  It's typically sold for under $5 and can quickly go from a sad shelf in the store to a glowing print on your wall.  If you can't find discounted paint, pick up samples for under $3 and paint your heart out!
NO STARS, JUST STRIPES:
To paint fun stripes I usually just free-hand them and go for it.  If the lines blend, who cares, it's ART people!  IF you prefer to paint inside the lines, however, simply use painters tape or masking tape to create a design you'd like.  Have a huge wall you need to cover? Buy canvases in bulk at arts and crafts stores and paint at least 10 canvases of various shades.  Map out how you would like them to look on your floor…then measure…place painters tape on the wall and mark where you want them hung.  IN less time than it took Michelangelo to paint the Sistine Chapel, you've created your own masterpiece.  Remember, if staging your home, use simple colors..save the fun stuff for your new place!

Popular Posts