TIS THE SEASON TO GET PICKLED!


Well, yes, my friend, there IS a Santa Clause…depending on how pickled you get, that is!  Now, I'd never want to give the wrong impression, so don't assume I'm promoting the consumption of alcohol to make it through the holidays (but if you're celebrating with family, I'd encourage a little dip in the vodka pool..just a dip).  If you've already been pickled, however, or otherwise can't stand the sauce, then channel your inner Martha Stewart and PICKLE something!  Not only do they make incredible hostess gifts, you can pickle just about anything…including the family cat!  So take a swig of whatever makes you do the jig, and jot down these simple recipes for a grand ole time!
IF YOU PARTAKE IN THE BOOZE CRUISE:
If you google "Candy Cane martini", more recipes come up than politicians scandals in the last year, so this is one I've grown fond of over the years: (I don't like to include amounts, because I make all cocktails to taste..).
Vanilla Vodka
Creme De Cacao
Peppermint Schnapps
Candy cane (one whole and one crushed for the rim…wet rim of glass and dip in smashed candy cane..prior to filling the glass!!)
IF YOU'D RATHER EAT YOUR PICKLES THAN GET PICKLED:
When I learned how easy it is to pickle I started putting just about anything I could in a jar! For holiday parties use colorful veggies like radishes, green peppers, etc.  You can get pickled over night, so it's not too late to give this for your big date!
3 cups white vinegar
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 tsp coarse salt
1/2 tsp mustard seed
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/8 tsp ground turmeric
Put all of the above in one giant bowl and mix it up, prepare canning jars (I love vintage mason jars as I've said many times before), fill them with your veggies of choice, add liquid from above mixture then place in refrigerator.  While some recipes say it only takes a few hours, I like to let them sit at least 24 hours.  YUM YUM YUM when you HO HO HO!!!

Popular Posts