THE VIRGIN (BLOODY) MARY

It's that time of year but, fear not, I've gotcha covered!  Maybe you spent last weekend shopping for plastic junk no one will ever really use, or you were in the kitchen all day yesterday preparing meals for ungrateful guests.  Did the family dog (or relatives dog) make a mess on your favorite rug, chew open a Christmas gift for granny or lift a leg on that new chaise?  Stressed about the tree?  Worried about driving in the nasty weather?  Is your other half making you want to scratch your face off??  My advice to you, no matter what the situation…take a deep breath…remember how lucky you are to be here and have whoever it is standing in front of you…and be thankful, NOT UPSET, that you have this time together!  If that doesn't work, take a big old sip of this fabulous Bloody Mary!!!
OH MARY!
Last week I popped into the Culinary Institute of America to buy my two favorite chefs Christmas presents (my mom and my Joe).  While browsing the gift shop, I happened upon this fabulous collection of bar books from a place in Manhattan called Schillers (the Schillers Liquor Bar Cocktail Collection can be found on Amazon for far less than what I paid at the CIA..but it's okay..).  I like to prepare Bloody Marys in the original V8 bottles (just pour out a little, then you've got an instant cocktail shaker).  To deliver the non-alcohol mix to friends, I fill vintage mason jars and wrap them with a bow with ingredients tied to the ribbon (in case someone is allergic to anything).  YUM YUM!
I like to make a big batch and distribute into separate containers (as mentioned above)
46 oz tomato juice (I like V8 and the container above is exactly 46 oz)
3/4 oz Tabasco
1/4 cup horseradish
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 1/2 fresh cracked black pepper
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1/8 cup olive juice
2 tbs Worcestershire sauce
Mix and shake your frustrations away…add vodka if you choose…and celery stalk, of course…and ENJOY!  MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

Popular Posts