OH CHRISTMAS TREES!!!

It's no secret that I tend to go a little nuts around the holidays, but what can I say, it's my favorite time of year.  Sports fans often paint their faces, rip off their shirts, wave foam fingers in the air and look like fools on television, concert-goers dress like crazy teenagers and get loopy, I simply decorate our halls with bells of holly and anything else I can get my hands on!  As Joe said a few days ago.."wow, it looks like Christmas threw up in here!"  I love a gorgeous Christmas tree, is there anything wrong with that?  I love them so much I end up putting several around our house..a few upstairs, several downstairs, maybe one in a bedroom, possibly one or two outside.  What I love most, as I've said in years past, is the stories told on the limbs of a tree.  I pack my trees full with ornaments.  In fact, if you have given me one, it's hanging on one of our trees as I never, ever throw them away.  While I place a fresh tree on each floor and drape plenty of garland and fresh wreaths around to fill our house with the lovely scent of the holiday, I love a fake tree.  Why? Two words: PRE-LIT.  I used to spend hours upon hours wrapping lights around each limb, starting at the bottom and working my way up.  I still do this on my real trees, but if I had to light all six, I'd get lit myself during the process!  Fake trees today on any budget level are usually filled with lights, which means shiny ornaments look gorgeous hung from their limbs.  On the main tree in our living room..only 9' tall mind you…I've placed a total of…are you ready for it??? 2,200 ornaments!  Before you send for the decorating police, I place the tree somewhat in the center of the room, so each side can be viewed and admired.  I start with larger ornaments on the INSIDE of the limb, and as I work my way out I place various sized lovely bits and pieces around.  I might toss in some holly, leaves from our yard or babies breath (something my Aunt Rita showed me years ago that fills gaps and makes the tree look even more spectacular).  Whatever you do to your tree, however tall it may be, just enjoy dressing it up, don't look at decorations and think what is it because all of this is only here for a short visit!

Popular Posts