IT IS WHAT IS ON THE INSIDE THAT MATTERS MOST

Sometimes I think my days are just a compilation of random thoughts, adding up to not more than insignificant moments in our otherwise overly-complicated lives.  Today was no different.  I woke up, looked around at the several pumpkins scattered around our house waiting for their marching orders (both real and ceramic) and I thought, you know what, they look just great where they are...uncarved, unclothed, undecorated and, well, simple! That led to one of my many random thoughts of the day (believe it or not, the pumpkin sidebar was not one of them..but it did make me want to race to Starbucks for a pumpkin spice latte).  I got to thinking about holiday decorations and how many people focus so much attention on exterior trimmings, particularly front yards, and for what reason?  Do they perch on lawn chairs in their driveways and admire the hard work like Clark Griswold in "Christmas Vacation?"  Do they rearrange all of their inside furniture to face the front yard, so to enjoy the holiday cheer all season?  I just don't get it...don't get me wrong, though, I love a few, tasteful tid bits outside (I love my natural wreath, cool lit twigs and a few lit snowflakes twinkled here and there) but when the outside of your house starts to look like runway 37L at JFK, you might have a problem folks!  OR maybe that's what you like..who am I to judge?  What I do, however, is to put all of those fun things in our BACKYARD so we can enjoy them from wherever we happen to sit in our home during the holidays.  I guess it's reverse psychology in exterior holiday decor, but I love it and guests who visited us last year appreciated it too.  One in particular (maybe she'd had too much scotch) commented on how cool it was, because she was used to loving what she saw walking in someones house and totally forgetting about it once she was inside.  Not in our cornucopia of holiday deliciousness.  Okay, thank you for indulging me and participating in today's random design thought!  Until next time...

Popular Posts