JUST HANGING AROUND

Have you ever noticed how you can pull off a seemingly impossible task (whether a meal, an event, a project at work, etc.) and receiving praise (hell, even a thank you) is almost more difficult than the task itself?  Now, don't misunderstand me, I'm not one who searches for accolades, certainly not in my line of work, but lately it seems like clients are more impressed with the tiny, insignificant things I do rather than my bigger design.  I recently worked in three homes on the same street where two of the clients came to me after they were impressed by my work on one house.  That house, a 6,000 square foot faded flower in dire need of help, was tweaked and teased from tip to toe like Joan Rivers on the red carpet.  Did the neighbors love the new foyer, the gorgeous renovated screened porch off the back, the brilliant new colors inside or the fabulous master retreat I created?  Nope.  All I heard from everyone in this neighborhood was how much they loved the placement of two Adirondack chairs next to the lake on the property.  Two chairs.  Less than $100 and five minutes of planning on my part and I'm still getting high fives and "how did you think of that?" from everyone passing by.  The same thing happened this week when I wandered into a clients laundry room (I've spent the better part of the last year redoing her entire home) and while I waited for my contractor to arrive, I inquired about a crazy contraption that looked like a tent with no canvas, awkwardly placed in the tight laundry room like a large girl in spandex.  "That's my drying rack" she squealed. Humm.  While my contractor explained floating glass walls to my client, I raced to a nearby walmart (don't judge) and picked up a towel bar for $5.  When I got back to my client with a dazed look in her eyes as my contractor rambled about pressure treated something, I installed the towel rack under her laundry cabinets, looked at her and said, "now that's a drying rack, my dear!"  Simple.  Inexpensive.  Effective.  Maybe that should be my new tagline!

Popular Posts