WHEN IT'S HOT, CHILL OUT!


I've said it before so saying it again, I'm sure, sounds like I'm one big, whiny nag, but the only thing I don't like about living on the east coast is the hot, muggy, sweltering days of summer.  Every native New Yorker (or east coaster) I've met so far can't wait to shed the winter duds and trade them in for a few months of shorts, bathing suits and hot, hot sun...but I can't wait for fall to roll around again.  While on the phone with my mother the other day I was quickly reminded that it's hot pretty much anywhere you go these days..as she stood in her living room in Palm Springs, California where (at 9 am) the mercury had already reached 110!  I believe that day hit the 120 mark which, dry or wet, it's still heat I'd like to avoid.  One of my tips today is something I learned from my mother and one of the easiest things you can do to stay cool on a hot day.  Slice up your favorite fruits and FREEZE them..grapes, blueberry's and bananas are my favorite.  To add an adult twist, infuse them with a bit of vodka and when happy hour rolls around you'll be a lot cooler and much happier.  To cool that bottle of wine faster than you can say C.H.I.L.L. I like to use a bucket I found at Target a few years ago..start with a layer of ice, then salt, another layer of ice, more salt then drop in your bottles and add water to the top of the ice line.  The combination will cool your bottles in about ten minutes and keep them (and your guests) chilled out for a while.  Here's to a short work week and lovely long, hot holiday weekend!

Popular Posts