BEHIND DOOR #3

Well,  I took a few days off and now will spend more time than I had off catching up, but that's life, right?  Ever notice how much work goes into taking a vacation? You run around trying to plan everything for going away, make sure all loose ends are tied up at work then do nothing but race around and try to catch up when you get back.  And, if you're like me, you most likely never stop thinking about work no matter how much distance you put between your beach towel and work desk.  Earlier this week, in an attempt to recharge my batteries, I lost sleep at night thinking about upcoming projects, current works in progress and other needs of my clients.  In short, I need a vacation from my vacation.  But I'll stop complaining, because turning off just the noise of a buzzing cellphone (I was without service for most of the week) meant I could focus on creative ideas.  Zipping through and adorable Adirondack lake town, I noticed an antiques store with nothing but old doors sitting out front, some for free, some as high as $50 (which is NOTHING..in Manhattan you'd add a few more zeros to that price).  So, I called my carpenter, gave him directions and he produced a beautiful headboard for a guest bedroom using an old door, a little paint and a few pieces of scrap molding.  Just because I was on vacation, doesn't mean I turn off the creative juices.
DOOR TO DOOR:
If I had it my way I would have stopped at that great antiques store and picked up a few more doors.  They are great for tables (coffee or dining), headboards (as in the case above) or if they're really interesting (like antique, rustic or otherwise distressed looking) they can be hung on a large wall as art.  Proof that opening up one door can lead to many more opportunities!

Popular Posts