STICKY SITUATIONS



Sitting in my office on the lower level of our house (the coolest spot), it's shocking to think that just a few months ago we were carrying wood, shoveling snow out of our driveway and hovering by the fireplace to stay warm, and today I'm dreading the rise of the mercury for the third day in a row.  It seems like New York weather changes in the blink of an eye...one minute we freeze, and the next our hair gel blinds us as it melts in the sweltering summer humidity.  But, that's the price we pay, I guess, for living in one of the most beautiful places on earth.  Speaking of sticky situations, price and beautiful places to live, this week I'm using one of my tips yet again and thought I'd share it with you.  Faced with an apartment make-over on a budget as tiny as a Cicada (boy are they loud!), I enlisted the help of a few sticky pals of mine...Flor carpet tiles (www.flor.com) and peel and stick tiles from the Home Depot.  Living on opposite ends of the cost spectrum (sticky tiles are $9/each and carpet tiles are around $19/per square foot) designing a small space meant I could push the square foot cost just a tad.  Because this is a rental, I knew I couldn't do anything that would leave a permanent impression (on the structure, that is, not the client) so I had to make sure whatever I put in the space could leave it just as easily.  To transform ugly floors I've used peel and stick tiles many times from Lowes and Home Depot, and now I discovered these cool somewhat Spanish-inspired tiles at the Home Depot.  Cut them to size with scissors, peel off the back and stick them where you want them.  To jazz up white, boring spaces I added these pops of orange and just like the cool, adventurous people that live in this space, when they move on to the next awesome pad, everything will follow!

Popular Posts