LIGHTING UP



Well, it's about time!  Power has finally been restored to our neighborhood after Hurricane Sandy blew through, so I thought it only appropriate to talk about lights after nearly a week in the dark.  I should be used to power outages by now, because they happen as frequently in our neck of the woods as politicians shaking hands and kissing babies.  But, as this last storm proved, there is no such thing as being too prepared.  A few things I couldn't have done without this time around are the coleman lanterns we use for camping.  They light up the room and throw a little heat at the same time.  Fueled by tiny propane tanks, use caution (and common sense) when using these great life savers purchased at anywhere from Home Depot to Target for less than $20.  Also, and you know I swear by these, my battery operated candles are an excellent addition to any dark room and you don't have to worry about falling asleep with them lit!  In the wake of Sandy's week of fury here on the east coast, I've decided to take a few extra minutes to prepare for the next time the lights go out.  As I run through my checklist I had another lightbulb moment about a client waiting in the wings for me to finish her kitchen, if the lights ever come back on in her neighborhood, that is!  To add an interesting twist to her rather traditional kitchen, I thought it would be fun to add a dramatic chandelier above her island.  What better way to brighten things up then by adding a little bling to get a big BAM!

Popular Posts