CHEERS TO THE HOLIDAYS!


This weekend was no different from any other in this attention-deficit designers world.  Early Saturday morning I headed out to my truck to grab something (and, honestly, I still have no idea what), where I noticed what a mess the back was, so naturally, started to clean it.  Under a pile of random bile, I discovered two pieces of Ikea furniture for a client that needed assembling (notice directions in top of photo).  As I started to build said pieces, I needed a tool (while the Swedes always include an Alan wrench, they don't give us all the tools!).  As I zig-zagged my way through a maze of junk in our garage, I stumbled upon a treasure trove of fantastic vintage mason jars.  Joe rescued them from the basement of a cabin he owned in California and they just spoke to me.  Actually, they screamed COOL HOLIDAY LIGHTING, so I headed back to my open SUV, perched myself on the hatch and created interesting, unique holiday lights.  Eventually Joe appeared, wondering where I'd wandered off to with my coffee.  I'm still waiting for the light bulb moment that reminds me what the heck I was looking for.....oh well, often the best ideas pop up when you're worrying about something that doesn't matter!
LIGHTEN UP:
I read an article a few months ago in FOOD AND WINE which profiled mason jars.  In college I stored them in my freezer for chilled beer, in my twenties they served as great storage for discarded change and in my thirties they're going to make awesome decorations.  Here's what I'm doing to dress up a few spots for the holiday season.  I've gathered a collection of different sized jars and wrapped them with fishing wire (they kinda look like glass purses).  I'll hang them in trees at various heights and add votive candles, so as guests arrive they'll A.) either think we are totally nuts or B.) love the light flickering in the trees (I use battery operated candles purchased at the $.99 store...10 for $99).  On our thanksgiving table, I will place various sizes down the middle of our table with candles, some with a little bit of water and floating candles, others with simple votives.  I believe this is what more snooty designers would call "visual interest."  By the way, Mason jars are quite collectible and can be found for as little as $1 at many antique stores.

Popular Posts