MAKING WAVES

Well, I figured I'd better shoot a quick blog out there because according to news reports New York will be swept away tomorrow and spit out somewhere around Nova Scotia.  So, when you can't beat a hurricane, I decided it was high time to make one!  I often hesitate re-creating the vacation favorite cocktails..kinda like how a mai tai and floral print shirt just don't seem to blend as well in a Chicago suburb as they do in Maui, or a lovely sip of Limoncello in Florence tastes just a tad different than it does in Queens.  At any rate, when my brother Dwight attended Tulane University in New Orleans, I loved visiting him (for many reasons) but the opportunity to sip one of the regions best cocktails was high on my list of favorites...the Hurricane.  I'm sure mine won't be as good as the (many) I've had in Pat O'Briens on Bourbon Street, but I'll have fun trying.  A search on the internet found several versions, but this one is my favorite:  Cheers, by the way, to a safe hurricane and not too many days without power (If I'm not writing, you'll know our power is out)!!
HURRY-CANE
Grab your cocktail shaker, some fresh ice and a few ingredients:
1 Ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
4 ounces dark rum
4 ounces passion fruit syrup
crushed ice
orange slice
Shaker 'er up, and throw 'er down!  No better way to brace for a storm (and ride on through it) than with a good cocktail!

Popular Posts