ANOTHER LIGHTBULB MOMENT

'Tis the season to get lit!  Prepare to roll your eyes (or stop rolling them if you remember this favorite tip), but it's that time of year again.  I've mentioned this little gem several times, but I just can't get enough of it.  My grandfather loved gadgets, so maybe that's why I'm fascinated by the little things that make our lives easier, or maybe it's the practicality.  Whatever the reason, I fell in love with the Stanley wireless remote system a few years ago when I spotted it in Bed Bath & Beyond crapola.  Mainly marketed as a device to help turn Christmas lights on without bending over (are we really that lazy?), I use it year-round and suggest it to anyone who will listen.  I've always despised overhead lights, so our homes tend to look like a lamp super center (tastefully done, of course!).  Our family room area, for example, has ten different plug-in lights, each highlighting a different sitting area.  Instead of running around turning on all of the lights, now it's easy to say we light up a room when we walk in, because it's done by the touch of a button!
LIGHTEN UP PEOPLE!
Life is all about good lighting, right?  Well...it sure helps!  Two things I've invested in and love are plug-in dimmers (Ikea, Home Depot and Lowes for approx $10/each) and these remote light switches, available seasonally at Bed Bath & Beyond, Home Depot, Lowes and year-round on Amazon.  I often plug a surge protector into one plug so I can use it for multiple lamps.  If you purchase more than one set of the same brand, plugs can be programmed to one remote easily by flipping a switch on the back of the plugs (average price is $15.99 for one remote and three plugs).  When I walk into our dark house I can stand in one spot and turn on lights in our living room, kitchen and family room.  I offered this as a suggestion to a realtor friend who was sick of walking into large homes she had listed and running around, frantically turning on the lights before clients previewed the homes.  Now she does it in two seconds from her remote.  Life is hard enough, why not make little things a lot easier!

Popular Posts