BEAMING WITH JOY

I've taken on the fun task of helping a young couple from Manhattan set up a country home in the Hudson Valley.  While they purchased a rather contemporary, sprawling home (the opposite of one might think when picturing an upstate New York, charming, "country" home, but I love a challenge) I've shown them a few easy tips to make anything feel, well, like anything. Sure, it will be next to impossible to convince anyone that this 5,000 square foot behemoth structure built of wood and glass is "warm and cozy" from the outside, but crossing the threshold and stepping into the home is another story.  Over the next few weeks I'll share several examples as we polish this silver gem, help the dull edges shine and bring new life to this 80's version of "cool."  I started by showing them a tiny trick (thanks to photo shop and my Mac) of how to make an otherwise overwhelming, cold office more "modern farmhouse."  The ONE thing I did in this room to give them a little teaser on my overall design plan, was to spruce up the beams by staining them to look like real, found wooden beams (and not drywall, white, boring supports).  I've also suggested changing the wall color to a cool grey, darkening the wood floors by a few tones and doing away with the Costco version of "oriental rug."  Little details can make a world of difference!  Stay tuned for the final reveal of this room in a few weeks...

Popular Posts