A SWEET TIP

Because I love a cold, delicious margarita on a hot summer day (heck, I love margaritas any day), it's no surprise I also fell in love with the plant from which tequila is made, Agave.  Found growing primarily in southern Mexico, agave looks similar to an aloe vera plant, tastes like honey (with no bitter aftertaste like artificial sweeteners) and has a lower glycemic index than granular sugars and natural sweeteners.  The best part...it's far less caloric than regular sugar and much, much better for you!  While it's been used for hundreds of years as an ingredient in cooking light, I love it best in my liquid libations morning, noon and night.
I GIVE YOU, AGAVE...two places I love it most.
1.) Joe discovered a delicious recipe for homemade margaritas in Bon Appetit last month.  Skip the store bought, nasty mix and toast to this instead: in a cocktail shaker mix your favorite tequila (we like patron or 1800).  Shake equal parts of fresh lime juice and tequila, pour over ice and add agave (don't shake it in as the syrupy substance won't dissolve properly).
2.) I hate to admit...especially in the company of the gourmet cooks in my life...that I love giving my morning Joe a little boost with store-bought, sugar-filled creamers.  There.  I said it.  Recently we discovered a more healthy alternative with Coffee Mate's "Natural Bliss" but let's face it, it's still like dipping a jelly donut in your coffee.  For a much healthier alternative, I've started squeezing a bit of agave in my morning cup.  It's smooth, far less caloric than regular sugars and creamers and much, much more health-giving.

Popular Posts