OCCUPY YOUR STREET!


As we roar towards one of the biggest holiday weekends of the year, I'm sure many of you are heading out of town with the kiddos or hosting hoards of people for barbecues and you might be wondering, "what on earth am I going to do to occupy the kids and, most importantly, keep them out of my hair??"  Years ago, when I worked for a certain A-List diva in Hollywood, as I planned a glamorous party for 600 at her Bel Air estate she suggested (in the eleventh hour, I might add) that I buy 500 blank canvases, paints and brushes to keep the guests busy.  Now, keep in mind, the guest list included other A-listers, famous musicians, etc. so the thought was lost on me UNTIL I walked around the property midway through the event and found guests in various parts of the house quietly painting.  Years later I've suggested a similar trick to families moving or renovating...let the kids get involved by painting canvases and hanging them in the entryway, kitchen, hall, etc.  That way you make them feel apart of the new space.  It's also a great trick to keep the little ones busy on otherwise hectic holiday weekends...grab a bunch of canvases at Michael's Arts and Crafts (for as little as $1.99) and let them paint away the day!  I like to get things started by putting painters tape on the blank canvas (top shot) and showing them how cool it is to paint the entire thing then lift the tape to reveal the cool design underneath.  This weekend as summer starts with a bang, don't pull your hair out, pull out the paint!

Popular Posts