ROCK/SCISSORS/PAPER

While standing in line yesterday at Bed Bath & Beyond fantasizing about a cold, delicious margarita, I was pleasantly surprised by the well-behaved children in front of me.  Yes, I know...line...Bed Bath & Beyond annoying and children behaving!  To my shock and awe these kids were quietly, obediently waiting in line as the grown ups grunted and groaned through the stampede of ticked off bargain shoppers.  What kept these kiddos on mommy's good list?  They were totally transfixed by whatever game they were playing on a tablet.  Now, some might think this is a sad state of affairs, when parents give in to modern technology to keep their kids in line, but hey, IT WORKS!  Then I got to thinking about when I was their age (suddenly I really needed that margarita), long before i-anything, we just played regular old games, like rock/scissors/paper.  No apps to download or status to update, just a little imagination and a friend to make an otherwise boring time fun again.  And just like that a design light bulb went off (an energy saving CFL, of course).  This week a friend of mine came to me asking for help "sprucing up" her rather dismal kitchen but, you guessed it, she doesn't want to spend a lot of money.  To kill time while waiting in line I jumped on my iPhone and went to www.amazon.com where I purchased peel and stick, re-usable wallpaper (If you've been following my blogs you know I've used this many, many times).  By adding wallpaper behind her open shelf cabinets, I created visual interest and the wow factor she was looking for (just grab a pair of scissors, cut to size, peel and stick!).  Now a big transformation is just a click away...oh, man, what did we do back in the day??

Popular Posts