NICE WOOD!

Whoever said, "when in doubt, talk about the weather" must have been one helluvah boring person!  It's safe to say that even I have driven myself crazy talking about the incredibly mild winter on the east coast and how much I missed snow this season, but one thing I didn't miss this year were the daily trips out in the snow to gather wood for our fireplaces.  That little chore, hands down, has been my least favorite part of living in New York.  In anticipation of a cold, snowy winter, however, we prepared last September by chopping, stacking and sorting wood for what seemed like weeks.  Those neatly piled logs still line our driveway and the other day, after backing into a small heap by accident, I wondered if there was anything else we might do with these lovely pieces of New York forest until the next cold spell descends upon us.  Larger pieces make great outdoor seating, so why not use them inside too?  To create inexpensive, green accent pieces in a clients cottage, I decided to literally bring the outdoors in by using large pieces of wood as coffee tables.  After cleaning them of outside visitors and creepy crawlers, I attached felt tips to the bottom to both level them and protect the wood floors inside, then painted the tops with enamel paint for a colorful, fun finish.  Now instead of wanting to cry at the mere sight of wood, I see the infinite possibilities!

Popular Posts