MARCHING TO A DIFFERENT BEET

I read an article in the New York times about a recent study on "the top worst things" facing society today, at least according to this report.  The economy? Terrorism? Global warming, starving children or abused pets? Nope!  High on the list of grievances were things like getting a phone cord caught in the wheel of your office chair and poorly designed power strips that only allow a few items to be plugged in at once.  Now, my main question was A.) who pays these a**holes to research nonsense like this and B.) where do I sign up? Before tossing the article into our roaring fire, I started thinking about my list of atrocities, and number one on the list of least favorite anything in my world...BEETS.  While known to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory, and detoxification support and numerous other health benefits, until recently I wouldn't go near them.  In fact the mere smell of cooking beets would induce gagging and force me to run for the nearest exit.  How this incredibly healthful vegetable evolved into a dish I loathed I can't quite put my finger on, but this weekend I dove right into a plate of these and can't wait to go back!
AND THE BEET GOES ON...
With a few simple steps Joe turned my least favorite menu item into my new favorite.  Here's what he did:
Remove the greens from the beets and chop into chunks.
Arrange on a baking sheet and toss with a good Olive Oil (we use California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin for everything), salt and pepper.
Preheat oven to 350 and allow to cook for 35-40 minutes.
The delicious kick?? Remove from the oven, place in a bowl with fresh blue cheese and toss.  The hot beets will melt the cheese to create a delicious, healthy, scrumptious addition to any meal!
QUICK TIP: A good olive oil goes a long, long way!  A simple salad we added to our beet meal was made even more delicious by adding California Olive Ranch Extra Virgin Olive oil.  We chopped onions, heirloom tomatoes and parsley, tossed it all in the olive oil and yum, yum, yum had a fantastic, healthy meal!

Popular Posts