Stress-Free Holiday


I don't know about you, but for us it's been a pretty rough year. But, instead of diving into the nonsense, we tend to escape every once in a while. Now, when I say "escape," I don't mean in a Lindsey Lohan I'm so drunk I can't remember my panties, kind of escape. That would be unhealthy. No matter what kind of bullshit you might be swimming in; financial, job nonsense, relationship crapola, family drama...focus on something YOU love to do. I just happen to love Interior Design, so when I get down I often re-arrange a room in our house, repaint a wall, pull out an old fabric and fantasize about how to repurpose it or buy an old vintage travel trailer and redesign it as an office. One of the many reasons I love this time of year is because it provides an opportunity to put the breaks on life and reflect, not only on the year (which I'd rather not do), but on past years, past victories, happier times, sad times and anything and everything that brought you to today. I've often told clients that I approach the design of a house in the same way I decorate a Christmas tree. I want both to tell a story. A cold, stale living room with nothing but $1,000 vases and white doves tells about as interesting a story as a white tree with white feathers. Unless, of course, your last name is White, I guess. My point, and believe me I do indeed have one, is that no matter what happened yesterday or six months ago, we all have the ability to move on. I love looking at my Christmas tree (well, we'll call it tree #4 in our kitchen) and stare at all of the ornaments because they, too, tell a story. I see the one a teacher gave me in high school as a secret Santa gift, an ornament an ex gave me in happier times, a handmade piece from my Grandmother and a shiny new one my Mother bought last year when visiting us in New York. The ornaments and this tree are like a time machine to wonderful memories. So, as I swim in my lake of melancholy today, I remind myself that no litigious, miserable person anywhere can take away my past or my future, as long as I focus on the present. Which reminds me, I'm visiting dear friends I haven't seen in ages tonight and want to make them my favorite holiday libation; candy cane martinis with a twist:
COME DOWN CANDY CANE LANE...
Here's what you'll need to make a great night even better.
1.) A great friend or many...
2.) Candy canes. Crush some to use as garnish
3.) 2 oz of Strawberry Vodka
4.) 4 dashes of white creme de menthe
5.) 2 1/2 oz cranberry juice
I start by chilling martini glasses for a half hour (dip under water and stick in the freezer). Then I crush the candy canes on a plate into tiny, tiny pieces (it's great to think of people you don't like while doing this, it releases negative energy and creates tiny sand-like pieces of yummy! Take martini glasses out of freezer, wet rims and roll around in the candy cane. In a cocktail shaker mix 3, 4 and 5 with ice, pour into glass and serve immediately.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Five minutes for drink prep
COST: under $5/each
STRESS LEVEL: Staying level with good friends and family: LOW

Popular Posts