I CAN WALKIE AND TALKIE AT THE SAME TIME!


Situated on a little over ten acres in the middle of the woods, I couldn't be happier with the location of our home. That peace and quiet, however, has its drawbacks too. But, I'll get to that in a second. Just before I sat down to type this entry today I was performing my usual multi-tasking morning ritual of washing dishes, cleaning the kitchen and checking email while the cast of the Today Show buzzed about nonsense in the background. Over the humm of Al Rokers forecast I could have sworn I heard someone talking to me...is our house haunted? Have I completely lost my mind and am now hearing voices? No. It was sweet, lovely Joe downstairs in his office (the complete opposite side of our house, one level down, behind a staircase with a washer running next to him in the laundry room). Now, maybe this experience is unique only to me, but something says I'm (hopefully) not alone. I love Joe dearly, clearly, but he often chooses to start a conversation with me when I'm otherwise engaged; brushing my teeth, washing dishes, in the shower or on the phone. He thinks I'm hard of hearing while I beg him to step in my shoes, turn on the faucet while I stand 100 feet away and ask him a question. A multi-tasker I am, but sonic hearing genius, I am not (is there such a thing?). Moments ago, in fact, I heard what I thought sounded like, "look outside, a gorilla is stomping on your shoe!" After walking through our living room, down the stairs, past our loud laundry room and into Joe's office....he smiled at me, pointed at his monitor and said, "did you see this great deal?" After feigning a smile I headed back upstairs and added two things to my "to do" list: call ear doctor immediately and buy walkie talkies for Joe for Christmas. Every retail giant from Target and Walmart to Home Depot and Best Buy sell a range of walkie talkies. These great Motorola talkies cost $19.99 at Best Buy with a range of 23 miles!!! Prices can go into the hundreds, but these seemed good enough to do the trick. Need to talk to me? Click your walkie. Working outside in the yard and need a little help? Click the walkie. The sound is remarkably clear, unlike trying to decipher what someone is saying while you're under a shower head! No fear of being too far away from a cell tower or going straight to voicemail, these puppies work anywhere. Which, back to my initial statement about how great our remote property is, we often go for long runs alone through the woods and, god forbid one of us fell, etc, the walkies could save the day! So, while my sweet Joe mumbles something downstairs about a Hollywood Starlet coming for Christmas (or did he say he wanted me to buy starch at the market?), I'll order a little device that won't make me ever think twice!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: many models are sold out online, but Best Buy has in stock
COST: Prices range from $11-$300+. This Motorola model at Best Buy is $19.99 with a range of 27 miles and battery life of 24 hours. What's not to love?
STRESS LEVEL: Hearing clearly: LOW

Popular Posts