Happy Holigays


Growing up in Redlands, California I will always remember one of our families favorite holiday spots; a local florist who turned his 1,000 square foot shop into a winter wonderland right in the middle of southern California. Trees took over the space like the pages of WHERE THE WILD THINGS ARE (a favorite storybook when I was a kid) in every color from black, white, red and the traditional green spruce. Trees and garland were draped from the ceiling and ornaments were so plentiful they hung off the limbs like an over-dressed bejeweled drag queen. But, it was tastefully done and the second one stepped into this magical space, you were immediately swept up into the spirit of the holidays. Yesterday I took a good look around our place and decided it was time for me to stop with the tree decorating. Our home was starting to look like an over-produced drag show, so I've reluctantly decided that seven trees was about three too much. That doesn't mean, however, I can't dress up our tables! For Thanksgiving I used dried leaves and pine cones from our front yard and for Christmas I've shifted to a more frosty, white theme. My mother taught me the fine art of creating visual interest on a table by simply hiding boxes of various sizes under a tablecloth to create different levels. In this wintry design, I've taken inexpensive vases and votive holders from Michael's Arts & Crap store (none cost more than $3). I downloaded cool designs from the internet, wrapped them on the inside of the vases and traced them with glue (work on the outline first, then fill in the center). Working over a pie plate or outdoors, I then poured glitter over the glued areas and let the vases sit over night. Instead of using boxes under our tablecloth (the dining table is a bit too crowded for that), I turned glass pie plates upside down then added candles for the final, glittery effect. A little splish, a little splash and I can't wait for a holiday bash!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 1 hour for design, 24 to dry
COST: Five vases of various sizes from Michael's: $12
STRESS LEVEL: The weather outside is frightful, but inside is so delightful: LOW

Popular Posts