WE FOUGHT THE TREE AND THE TREE WON


Can you tell, by chance, that this is the week we've chosen to decorate our trees? And, yes, that was a plural "trees" because I can't just have one! Last year, as much as I resisted, I started faking it and I've never been happier. If you get the right fake tree the results can be absolutely stunning. Artificial trees have stronger branches to hold heavier ornaments, most are pre-lit and they never, ever die! But, they don't come with that delicious smell that fills your home with everything holiday, so that's why I buy fresh garland, fresh wreaths and a few trees of various sizes so that smell can live in our home as we zip through the holidays. After spending a fortune at various tree lots and nursery's on garlands and trees, I popped into the Home Depot last year where I was pleasantly surprised to find garland, gorgeous wreaths and Christmas trees for far less than anywhere else (a 9' tree at a farm was $100, at the Home Depot $35). This year, however, we seem to have brought home a ruffian tree as the moment we stepped in our front door, it wanted nothing to do us, our living room or the incredibly expensive tree stand we purchased to house our tough tree. Just like last week when I discovered that I prefer a board game of Scrabble to the fancy app on my ipad, this new tree just wanted an old trick...so we dug through the attic to find this vintage tree stand. Still, this stubborn old mule wouldn't have it, then I realized the trunk was so over saturated with water the bolts were driving right into the trunk and not supporting a thing. So, to stop the deep dive into the tree, I grabbed furniture pads and the problem was solved. A straight tree is a happy tree (humm) and now our house is filled with sparkle, that great smell and a few pine needles.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: This year, THREE days to get the tree in the stand!
COST: 12' strands of garland at the Home Depot are $9.99 and our 9' tree was $35
STRESS LEVEL: Enjoying that sweet smell of the holidays over and over: LOW

Popular Posts