BIG DEALS


If you've made a list I'm sure you're checking it twice and thinking to yourself, "how do I have so many people on my list? What will I buy them? HOW will I pay for all of it without taking out a second mortgage on my house?" Well, search no further than your keyboard and my blog for the next few weeks because I might have a few trinkets that will be perfect for that special person. The most important thing is not to lose sight of what the holidays are all about; take time out of your hectic schedule to acknowledge the people who have an impact on your life in some way. If money is an issue, bake your favorite cookies or cake, send a card or donate to a charity in that persons name (most charities never reveal how much has been donated). Once upon a time when I worked in tinsel town my boss had well over 400 people on her list. Planning the perfect gift happened months in advance but, inevitably, in the weeks leading up to the holiday that list grew to a size that would rival Herman Cain's list of mistresses. One year my boss decided to send wine nestled inside a glass vase to everyone on "the list". Immediately I thought, what if they don't drink? Even worse, what if they have a problem? After raising the question one morning, my task became calling everyone on the coveted list...over 400 people...to subtly ask if they drank alcohol. Some did. Some didn't. Some started drinking at 9am. And some hung up on me. What I learned from that experience was unless you are gifting to key players in your life, it's never a good idea to assume anything about anybody. Simplicity is the key AND it saves money. That year of the wrath of grapes, my friend Majken was working at a ski resort in norther Sweden, unable to make it home for the holidays. To give her a little warm hug from the other side of the world, I sent her a small Christmas tree, a box of ornaments, lights, a holiday CD and a few little wrapped gifts along with instructions on what to do: 1) Play music 2) Set up tree 3)decorate, etc. For less than $25 (a bit more after shipping internationally) I gave a good friend something that told her I was thinking about her. So, if you have someone in your life that can't make it home for the holidays or is extra lonely this time of year, do the same thing. If it isn't a tree, send them the ingredients and tools to make a delicious cake. I know it sounds so simple, it's not the gift you're giving it's the thought and love that went into preparing it. Here are a few other favorites I've used throughout the years when I've been on different ends of the budget spectrum:
1.) Did you know most airlines will turn your miles into magazine subscriptions, gift cards or you can gift your miles? No matter how many miles you have, many airlines will give gift cards to any store (from Macy's to Amazon) for as little as 100 miles.
2.) Most banks and credit card companies offer a service where you can upload photos to a debit card. One year my friend, Aliyah, gave the teachers at her daughters nursery school gift cards with her daughters image on them. Unique, sweet, thoughtful.
3.) Gift cards seem so totally boring, I know, and it's always fun to open something, but why not get someone an Amazon card or American Express gift card where they can purchase whatever they want, wherever they want.
4.) I can't believe the leaps and bounds in technology today, but last week I was playing Scrabble with my niece on an ipad and I thought, wow, I really miss the OLD game boards! Instead of getting the latest techno whatever, how about a box filled with BOARD games; monopoly, scrabble, sorry. Retro is IN and it makes for better conversation and bonding.
5.) If Grandparents are on your list, why not give them something they will adore and not cost a penny! Start a BLOG. It's incredibly easy and you can make it a family event, but posting pictures and video everyday so your loved ones can check in on your from anywhere in the world! www.blogger.com is a great one, I've been using it for four years now!!
6.) I mentioned this one last year and I still love it, turn your photos into a story book at snapfish.com, kodak.com or google to find other great companies. You can manipulate the photos, add text, include a leather bound cover..unique, inexpensive and simple to make.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Depends on what gift you choose, but the Christmas tree photo above took little time and created a lasting impression on my friend.
COST: Tree above cost $9.99 at the Christmas Tree store but deals can be found anywhere. Don't get fancy, it's the thought that counts here. Find inexpensive, shatter proof ornaments perfect for shipping at Home Depot, Walmart, etc.
STRESS LEVEL: Gifting while not going broke: LOW

Popular Posts