Hang it up!



Rude people suck. Rude people standing in line ahead of me shouting on their cellphones are even worse. If you really, truly are important enough that a phone call can't wait until you've finished your transaction then, quite honestly, you should be powerful enough to have staff members carry out such common, low-brow tasks as depositing a check at the bank or ordering coffee at Starbucks. Well, make that two things I don't tolerate. I also can't stand a messy pantry. Today, while waiting in line at Starbucks behind an obnoxious, sweaty jerk screaming on his cellphone about nonsense, I thought to myself, "humm, I bet his house is a pig sty!" No, I'm not experiencing just another angry Monday, this is how my creative mind (albeit often crazy) works. While I love tackling large home renovation projects, I thrive on small organization tasks. As I've said before, once you put systems in place it's fairly easy to follow an organized routine. Take this laundry pantry, for example. Our old home doesn't have modern day conveniences like broom closets in the Kitchen. In fact, we don't have a coat closet on the main floor, let alone a place to hang our brooms! When dealing with cramped spaces, you've got to roll up your sleeves and get creative. Anything that serves a similar purpose should live in the same place (you wouldn't put pots and pans in your garage, would you?). Why, then, do people scatter cleaning supplies or other like-products all over their homes? To create a clean, organized space I took a small closet, found hooks that fold so I can close them when things aren't being used, and hung everything with a hole in it! If it didn't have a hole, I drilled one through the handle. Now we don't have to wander all over the house looking for brooms and cleaning supplies, because they're right where we left them last time. Now if this jerk would hang up his phone so I could get a cup of coffee, my day would be off to a much better start!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: One Hour
COST: Hooks from Home Depot that fold start at $2.99/each
STRESS LEVEL: Hanging out in a clean, organized area: LOW

Popular Posts