You Light Up My Life


Have I mentioned how much I love this time of year? Unfortunately, the last three years since moving to New York, as beautiful as it is, have been pretty ugly. But, I've decided, like the lyrics in Celine Deon's song, "a new day has come" to look ahead, not back, and grab onto every moment. Moving forward, I will try my best not to let dramatic, horrible people get me down (depressed about dealing with nasty lawyers, I came across an interesting blog, www.rudyveritas,com, about a gentleman who worked closely with Rudy Guliani's campaign, only to be brought down by a horrible US Attorney...it's a good read, if you have a moment). I'm really no different from the clients I choose to work with. And, I believe, that is one of the main reasons I love what I do. Years ago, unhappy at work, single and facing major uncertainty in life and love, I moved into my first apartment in West Hollywood, California (I was 28). Small, dark and located on a loud street in the heart of the action, I was thrilled with my new pad because it was MINE. Sure, some friends mocked me, others judged the neighborhood, but I didn't care. This tiny place, while a rental, was something I could call my own. Slowly I collected furniture from friends, auctions, garage sales and before I knew it I had created a peaceful, while humble, abode in the middle of a chaotic city. That's what I try to do with clients every day. Some are going through divorces or other major life changes, forced to sell homes, waiting for a baby, etc. and one major part of what I do is create calm and sanity (or at least I try), in a world that has become uncontrollable to my clients. A few weeks ago I helped someone pick a sofa they'd been questioning for three years. That one choice helped this client find peace. Last month I walked into another clients home two days after she'd moved in. For all who have moved, you can relate to what any home looks like a few days in...overwhelming, exhausting and daunting. I made her a cup of tea and walked through the apartment throwing out ideas for furniture placement, showed her how wonderful her art would look in unique areas and a few days later she called to tell me she was so excited about the possibilities, she pulled an all-nighter and re-arranged the place on her own. Before my Celine epiphany yesterday, I was browsing the aisles of Marshall's and happened upon this pumpkin made of twigs, wrapped with white lights. It just made me smile so I had to grab it. When the check out clerk said, "that will be $5,95" I smiled even more. It's the little things that matter.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Making a quick change: Not too long
COST: Priceless (pumpkins at Marshall's are on sale now so get them while they last)
STRESS LEVEL: Feelin HIGH on life: LOW

Popular Posts