Ghost Hunting


Oftentimes modern design, especially furniture, is far more pretty to look at than it is to sit on. Open any design magazine today and you will find some designers idea of simple, elegant, "clean" modernity, but is it realistic to live in this kind of world? Form following function often leads the modern race, leaving a lot of us standing still scratching our heads. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate the design principles of a far more simplistic, clutter-free life, but I just can't picture myself exhausted on a Thursday night with my dog and a bag of Doritos, kicking up my heels on a $10,000 sofa! Oh yeah, that's the other thing about living simple; it costs a lot of money! Unless, of course, you take advantage of modern technologies, like Google, and let your fingers do a little investigating. I'm currently designing not one, but nine structures on one piece of property. Each range in age, look, style and size, so I've approached this project by giving each structure a separate story. One is 1970's Danish Modern meets SoHo Chic, another is classic Asian flare, a small bungalow is vintage country while another is 80's modern. The 80's modern structure is probably my favorite, set in an old barn built in the early 1900's (rumors say it might be haunted) with 20' ceilings, exposed beams, polished wood floors and cool architectural features like floor to ceiling sliding barn doors to separate the dining are from the living room. I'm sure you're scratching your head asking, "wait...a barn is modern??" but, yes, in the world of design anything can be anything. I love to do the unexpected when designing a space. If I'm staging someones house for the real estate market or designing a kitchen from scratch, I try to take the fine line of design and twist it a bit. So, why not create a modern space in a rustic setting? I, of course, will share photos when I am finished, but today I'm focused on the dining area where I'm using a gorgeous white-washed oak table from the 1940's and pairing it with incredibly modern Louis Ghost chairs. Louis Ghost chairs are all the craze in modern design, with their simple yet chic design, they can survive inside or outside with their acrylic construction, they come in clear, black or other various colors. Most stores sell them for $410/each, but this designer lives in the modern world so I'm always looking to save a buck. After a quick search of the Internet I found the same exact chairs on Amazon for $61/each. Are they comfortable, you might ask? Just have a few glasses of wine and everything looks (and feels) divine!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Amazon takes 3-5 days to deliver if you are a Prime member.
COST: Louis Ghost chairs by Philipe Stark at Kartell: $410/each. The same chair on Amazon: $61/each
STRESS LEVEL: Saving big on cool designs: LOW

Popular Posts