Getting Framed


In college my favorite piece of art was a framed poster of Van Gough's famous print "Starry Night." After college I evolved into a more sophisticated art collector by hitting the Gallery of "Z" for other framed beauties (if my Art History professors knew I shopped at Z Gallery for art, they would take back my degree!). By the time I got my own place, poster art was kicked to the curb and replaced with things I actually liked. I've never been a fan of art matching furniture, throw pillows, etc. Buy something and hang it on your wall because you LOVE it, you love looking at it, love the way it makes you feel, etc. NOT because it was on sale at Target or Ikea! What I've done many times in our home, and more recently for clients, is take a beautiful fabric (sometimes a pillow case or piece of a favorite childhood blanket, etc.) and I frame it. On one of my many journeys around the design block, I came across gorgeous fabric that was far too expensive to cover anything in our home, but I thought a piece of it would look gorgeous in a simple frame. When staging a house last week, I employed the same technique to jazz up a drab wall by purchasing large, white frames at Ikea for $12.99/each and framing different colors of fabric. The texture of the fabric makes the three dimensional piece interesting, beautiful and far more creative than an expensive poster of tulips from Z Gallery!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Fifteen minutes
COST: Frames at Ikea $12.99/each and fabric was found in clients attic
STRESS LEVEL: Making good use of my art history degree (sort of) LOW

Popular Posts