BRAND RECOGNITION



I had an interesting conversation with a friend this weekend about (the hopeful) forward projection of my design career. This, of course, came after watching several episodes of Bravo TV's snotty design series, "Million Dollar Decorators" where we follow a group of self-absorbed, over the top, incredibly nasty Interior Designers as they decorate homes for the rich and famous. So far discussions on the show have focused more on plastic surgery, first class lounges and champagne rather than pillows and fancy dishes. Which brings me to my frustration and reason for raising it as a topic of conversation. My friends first observation was that, in order to move my career forward, I need to brand myself. He continued with, "for example, you can't be all over the place, showing photos of beautiful homes you've designed on your website while blogging about painting a travel trailer. If you want to lure in high-end clients, you need to ACT high-end." While I listened, absorbing his every word as constructive criticism, I had to quietly disagree (and, after two margaritas, I knew it was best to keep my mouth shut!). I don't want to pretend to be anything other than who I am, as a person and as a designer. In the last few months I've worked in homes ranging in price from $500,000 to $3.2 million. While I purchased a few items at high end stores, most of my products (if they aren't repurposed from the home owner) come from places like Home Goods, Target and Ikea. My point, my reason for writing this blog and the philosophy behind every space I design, from million dollar homes to hundred dollar travel trailers; you don't have to spend (or have) a million dollars to live well. H&M designs inexpensive, hip, modern clothes that mimic high-end brand names. Isn't my brand my style? Well, I could go on and on, but instead I will share (what I think is) a great design idea at a fantastic price. Two clients, two totally different budgets for a kitchen remodel. Both wanted a modern farmhouse look, so for the higher end budget I went with the Rohl apron sink in white porcelain for $1,643 and was pleasantly surprised when I walked into Ikea and found a close contender for my other client at $312 for the "Domsjo" double porcelain apron sink (single sink version was only $179!!!). Both versions put smiles on my clients faces and at the end of the day that's the only recognition I need!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: ROHL sink took three weeks to deliver. Ikea sink came with me that day!
COST: ROHL sink at my local kitchen store: $1,643. Ikea Domsjo sink: $312.
STRESS LEVEL: pleasing both ends of the spectrum: LOW

Popular Posts