Which came first, the chicken or egg salad?


I know it stinks up a kitchen when you make it, but nothing says summer (to me) than a nice, cold egg salad sandwich! It's also incredibly easy to make, lasts for a few days and can keep the kids (and mates) happy! The thrust of everything I do from dining to designing relates directly to the state of my bank account....it's about as empty as my stomach right now, so I approach projects (like cooking a meal) with a budget in mind, how long it might last, how many times I can reproduce it as something else, etc. My loving partner in life, however, prefers to make batches of anything for as many as possible (even if it's only the two of us) often spending well over $100 for one meal that we inevitably end up throwing out the next day. Now his meals are always a bit more high brow than my low cost egg salad, but mine cost so little I can head out to a movie tonight and not hate my guts for spending more on a diet coke and popcorn than I did on my last meal! So, while Joe runs to the grocery to prepare a fancy chicken meal, I'm heading to our pantry to make yummy egg salad.
THE EGGCELLENT LUNCH
The longest part of this process is boiling the eggs and waiting long enough for the finished product to cool down. There are 101 ways to boil an egg, believe it or not, but for this batch I use six eggs and get the water boiling FIRST. While the water boils, I allow the eggs to come to room temperature. I then carefully place them in the boiling water for ten minutes. After taking them off the heat I empty the hot water and replace it with cold, allowing the eggs to sit for a few minutes. The easiest way to get the shell off in one piece (two, actually)??? I run the egg under cold water after cracking it on the bottom of the pan. The shell slips right off! I then grab a medium sized bowl, chop the eggs as small as I can, throw them in and add:
2 tablespoons of minced onions
2 tablespoons of minced celery
1/3 cup of mayonnaise
salt and pepper to taste
Dijon mustard to taste (not too much, because it can overpower)
Mix it all together and throw it in the refrigerator to cool down!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Thirty minutes to cook, thirty to cool down
COST: not much
STRESS LEVEL: Welcoming summer with a yummy, inexpensive sandwich: LOW

Popular Posts