Potty talk






One more thing I love about my new project (the vintage trailer I bought to use as my office) is the challenge in designing a small space. At 12' long and 8' wide, that's a whopping 96 square feet which incorporates a wet bath (that's a lovely, compact bathroom with shower where you sit on the commode and hold the shower nozzle over your head), dinette, full kitchen with stove, sink and refrigerator and a rear couch that converts into a queen size bed. The bath in this trailer totally grossed me out. For starters, I kept picturing thirty five years of rear-ends perched on this potty. That alone made me want to toss it out! At any rate, I faced my fears and got to work in this tiny space. Because I might someday use it again as a shower, I painted the floors with porch and floor paint we had left over from another project. Instead of ripping out the nasty wallpaper, I primed and painted right over it. I placed some left over wallpaper from the main trailer area on the vanity, painted it white and spray painted the handle in a mat black finish. For something a little different I decided to paint aqua stripes on the walls and floor. Because I don't want it to look perfect (for more of an artistic feel), I didn't use painters tape and simply traced lines with a pencil and channeled my childhood lesson of "coloring within the lines." For the final touch of a curtain, I ran to the Christmas Tree Store and purchased a set of curtains for $5.99 (only used the valance in the bathroom and will use the other panels in the main trailer). To add yet one more element of 70's flare to this little room, a furry seat cover from Kmart was a must for $5.99! A few hours, a few dollars and I can finally open the door to this room and say, "phew, it's finally done!!"
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Three hours
COST: I used paint left over from other tasks, only purchasing curtains and the toilet seat cover for a total of $13.50
STRESS LEVEL: No longer afraid to open the door: LOW

Popular Posts