Cool It!


I have to say, I LOVE winter. Joe, who grew up on the east coast and moved west when he was in his early twenties, HATES it. It would be safe to say the same of my mother who grew up in the harsh winters of Michigan, only to move west as an adult and never turned back (with a brief stint in Colombia, Missouri and Santa Fe where we had mild winters as I recall). In my mind, it's much easier to warm up then it is to cool down. There is nothing worse than sleeping in a hot house, with no air conditioning in the dead of summer. The charm of our hundred year old house quickly wears off once you realize our air conditioning involves a hand and a magazine working together in rapid motion. So, to cool down this summer I've come up with a few hot tricks. To keep Canyon, our dog, cool on hot days I add ice to her water bowls and periodically spray a water bottle next to an open fan (not too close to her so she thinks she's in trouble, but close enough to send a cool mist her way). I drink ice water all day and to make it more refreshing and energizing I make lemon, lime, basil, clementine, watermelon, YOU NAME IT ice cubes for a little kick in my daily water intake. These also make great summer cocktail additions. When adding a sprig of mint to an ice cube or clementine, the regular vodka tonic takes on new meaning. For those watching calories this summer who hate the taste of diet tonic or soda (both with no sugar added), I make a tray of lemon and lime ice cubes and cranberry cubes. I cut up the fruit, add it to the bottom of the ice tray, include water to the top and in just a few minutes I have a great addition to any drink! Cranberry ice cubes are pretty to look at and take the bite off of nasty diet tonics or sprites. So, chill out and enjoy this summer with a cool drink!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Thirty minutes to freeze cubes
COST: Zero
STRESS LEVEL: Staying cool on a hot day with something yummy: LOW

Popular Posts