FRIDAY'S HOT LIST


If you told someone you used an old trailer as a guest house, they most likely would think you had gone a little nuts, but I say why not? Now that the green is coming back after a long winters nap, our property has several cool little spots to hide an awesome trailer. Once upon a time I was actually planning on buying a mid century modern house in Palm Springs, California and using an airstream as a guest house, pink flamingos and all! Now, in a totally different climate I've decided to do that very thing. Only this time it's not an Airstream, it's a 1970's Serro Scotty (the cool aqua colors give it away), and our house is a hundred year old Farmhouse, not exactly "mid-century modern." My needs were the same, though. Joe started working from home and I NEEDED to get the heck out! Actually, I love camping and have always wanted a trailer, found this one at a great price on Craigs List and have started the restoration process. This week I found several cool, very 70's things to add to my trailer, so thought I would share. My Mother picked up the fabulous pink flamingo (I'm ordering another one in light blue) from one of the coolest party stores I've seen in Palm Springs (Party Lab @ www.partylab.com for $8.95). The solar powered blue lights (featured earlier this week) were a great find at Ikea (they also have great solar powered table lamps of all sizes), and I was thrilled to find the aluminum and mesh folding chairs at Target for $10/each. Last year I went nuts for Orla Kiely's line of melamine dishes at Target and now I see melamine everywhere, in every color. I popped into the Christmas Tree Store and found aqua colored bowls for $2, aqua placemats (6 for $1) and while skipping through the aisles of Home Depot I stumbled upon battery operated lights with velcro backing, so you can stick them anywhere....not very 70's but on my budget that's more like 1971, it helps to save! So, as Joe types away at his computer and takes call after call, I'm typing away in my cool, hip mobile office. And, oh yeah, I bought a 10'x10' piece of astroturf to finish off the look!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: 2 hours
COST: all under $20
STRESS LEVEL: Having fun in the sun: LOW

Popular Posts