BY SCOTTY, I GOT IT!!



Every new client presents interesting challenges. Client X wants her dining room on the Upper East Side to "smell like a Lilly pad," while Client Y in the Hudson Valley dreams of a space that makes her feel like she's living in a tree house. Some budgets are sky high, others have strict, seemingly impossible limits. Meet my most difficult client yet: ME. A few weeks ago I purchased my dream home. Well, sort of. Since Santa delivered the Barbie Camper to our house in Santa Fe, New Mexico all those years ago, I've been hooked and fascinated with the idea of taking your home wherever you go. Don't like the view of the heavy set topless neighbor as he mows his lawn? Then MOVE it (at least for the weekend). The idea of small scale living, if even for a weekend excursion to your favorite lake or national park, fascinates me. In a time when everyone wants big and bigger; the biggest TV, the bigger SUV, the house with rooms you will never use, etc. I am intrigued by small abodes. So, I purchased a vintage Serro Scotty HiLander trailer a few weeks ago. A fan of Airstreams for years, I knew little about the Scotty until I did a little searching on the internet and found a lot of help with a group I joined called the Serro Scotty Camper Enthusiasts. From them I get inspired by photos and stories of restorations, interesting tales of camp outs, etc. People so passionate about these little gems (just like those that love antiques, vintage cars, collecting yellow ware bowls...oops, that's me again!) So I've taken a slight departure from my usual hunt for viking appliances for a kitchen remodel and yummy fabrics for a master bedroom fainting couch to restore, don't pass out, my Scotty. My challenge: I want to do it for under $500! So, as I hunt for expensive sofas for Client Y and pottery for X, I'm searching for the perfect resources for my humble abode. Check back for update photos...and fear not, I will be talking about million dollar make overs soon!
TIME TO COMPETE TASK: On-going
COST: To date: $328.00
STRESS LEVEL: Having a blast in my vintage trailer from the past: LOW

Popular Posts