APRILS TOOLS



Last Friday I headed out on a journey to find vintage items for a client who is updating her newly built home by taking it back in time, specifically to the late 60's. Because I'm no fool (and didn't want to spend a fortune) I headed away from the expensive boutique shops of soho and headed south into Pennsylvania, land of antiques, rare finds, great prices and just far enough away on the train to keep deep pocket Manhattanites away (and prices down). With 5th Avenue and Bergdorf Goodman, Saks Fifth Avenue and Lord & Taylor worlds away (well, 80 miles), I picked up fantastic deals on everything from jadite dinner plates and milk glass vases, to Herman Miller chairs and globe lamps for a fraction of the doorman's daily tips at Barney's. Feeling victorious, I headed out in Amish country searching for a Starbucks. Instead of stumbling on a much needed non-fat vanilla latte, I found a vintage travel trailer screaming out for me. The 1969 Serro Scotty trailer desperately needed a home so, of course, I hooked him up and trailed him back to New York with me. After all, a little renovation project is exactly what the doctor has ordered after a long, exhausting winter. So, this once fabulous example of everything retro had seen much, much better days. For less than a dinner for two, I picked up fifteen feet of something that smells like poo. But, Im always up for a challenge so, after dropping $100 on this beauty, I want to see if I can restore it using less than $400! After ripping the insides apart, I've focussed on the kitchen area where I purchased a $10 can of stainless appliance paint and slapped it on the hood, stove and refrigerator. For the backsplash I discovered these fantastic and inexpensive stick-on tiles (stop rolling your eyes). Now, I most likely wouldn't put these in your chefs kitchen at the Malibu beach house, but if you are in need of a quick fix (if, for example, you are selling your place, moving into a nasty apartment or renovating an RV or boat) this company has any look you'd find at Walker Zanger or Ann Sacks at a fraction of the cost and THEY'RE STICK ON!!! Before you judge, take a look for yourself and check back here in a few weeks for my trailerenovation!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Ordering tiles, five minutes. Trailer project: on-going
COST: The stainless tiles I'm using behind my stove and sink are $1.29/sq ft. find them at www.homedepot.com (search "smart tiels") or www.thesmarttiles.com
STRESS LEVEL: Creating cool spaces by tile and error: LOW

Popular Posts