PROTECT YOUR WOOD & PUT A SOCK ON IT


The first thing I tell clients when redesigning a room is not to fall in love with any particular look, because I will most likely re-configure it several times. My design process flows into my home life, too, where everyday is like living in a home makeover show (or so says Joe or anyone that's stayed with us for any amount of time). It's easy to lay out a room in your head or on paper, but ask any of those frustrated weekend designers stuck in the return lines at Ikea, it doesn't always work out that way. If you intended for the sofa to be on THAT wall, or the tv cabinet next to the fireplace and it doesn't look right, move things around, put them where you'd least expect it and think outside of the box. Once upon a time Joe walked into our dark entryway, tossed his keys on the table and heard them crash on the floor because, well, I'd moved the table upstairs earlier that day. Now he knows not to walk into a dark room! If you're like me and love to shake things up from time to time, make sure you protect your floors when slipping around. If you have carpet, I like to use an upside down tupperware lid under each foot. To protect the wood floors throughout our house, I slip socks on the legs of heavier items (or stick felt tips under each leg) so if I'm pushing the distance, unlike rags that slip out, socks never come off! So, if you can't lift it, push it!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: five minutes
COST: ZERO (felt tips cost $2.99 for 20 rounds at Target, Walmart and Home Depot)
STRESS LEVEL: protecting my wood: LOW

Popular Posts