EGGCELLENT POD


You think you want the latest iPod or pad or Phone or whatever, but just wait. For far less you can get a whole lot of happy in a tiny, tiny package. OK, I will admit it's a little random to walk into the new year posting an entry on a design blog about eggs, but don't forget I write about everything from DINING to Designing, so call me Chicken as I slide into the world of the egg. Actually, let me blame this one on the weather in the northeast. Over the last five weeks we've had a substantial snow storm at least once a week, making treks to the grocery store more difficult than keeping Donald Trumps hair flat in a slight breeze. So, when it snows outside we eat through our pantry inside. This week I've been all about perfecting the hard boiled egg, the deviled egg and, of course, the poached egg. You might say YUK but I say YUM to this fabulous little invention for the perfect poached egg. Before I get there, though, let me expand on my recipe from yesterday for delicious deviled eggs (thanks, Donna, for indulging me in a QUESTION). So, for years I've either over boiled them, didn't boil them enough or cracked the damn things too early. Yesterday I filled a pot with cold water, dropped the eggs in before turning on the stove then brought them to a boil. Once they boil, empty water and knock the eggs around to crack them. I then dumped them in a bowl of cold ice water (six eggs in this batch). Two minutes later the shells slipped right off, and I was able to squeeze the perfectly cooked yolks into a bowl. After adding 2 tbs mayonnaise, 1 tbs sour cream, 1/2 tsp of distilled white vinegar, 1/2 tsp spicy brown mustard, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/8 salt and 1/8 pepper with a dash of hot spices for zing, I enjoyed delicious deviled eggs. I digress....our friend, Cameron, was up last weekend for dinner and we got to talking about, you guessed it, EGGs and he mentioned this great little, incredible invention. The PoachPod on Amazon.com sells for $8.50 (for two) and float like a lily pad on a pond, they're nonstick, dishwasher safe and cook the perfect poached egg. Simply crack the egg in the pod, drop it in a pot of water and before your favorite tune ends on your ipod, you'll be enjoying something yummy out of this pod.
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Ten minutes
COST: $8.50 with free shipping on www.amazon.com for two poachpods
STRESS LEVEL: Eating breakfast with good eggs: LOW

Popular Posts