GOURD HEAR OUR PRAYER


Tis the season to be jolly and, in my world, tis the season to stay out of the molly (mall) at all costs. I walked into a store last night to purchase Christmas lights and before I passed the 100 year old greeter at the front, I was sneezed on, coughed over and rubbed up against by a snotty-nosed kid. So, I took a deep breath, turned around and ran home. This year, I've decided, my holiday lights will be of the homemade variety. In April I blogged about planting gourd seeds. I prayed and prayed that they'd sprout, but unfortunately I was too late so they never came out! Had they grown into beautiful shapes, I'd spray paint them fun colors and hang them in our trees, like dangling apes. To make our house twinkle at night, I came up with a cool idea using bright light.
OH GOURD!
Because my gourds didn't grow as planned this year, I'm taking new store-bought gourds (don't tell Martha), hallowing them out like pumpkins by cutting the bottoms, and popping Christmas lights in the top. To make this happen, cut a smaller hole in the top, stuff the light through and use fishing wire to secure tightly. With older, dried gourds, I'm spray painting them green and red and hanging them from the trees around our property with fishing wire. This holiday when anyone walks up to our house, they're guaranteed to scream OH GOURD!!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: One hour
COST: Less than $10 for gourds, spray paint and fishing wire
STRESS LEVEL: Shedding some light on a dark night: LOW

Popular Posts