MyPad


You pad, we pad we all pad for ipad. If you have no clue what I'm talking about you've most likely been at sea for the last year or trapped deep in a hole underground. As techno unsavvy as I am, I too have been sucked into the world of the big Apple. While Joe cooks a delicious apple pie for dessert, I cruise my new ipad and download tunes onto my ipod from my ibook. I know, it's all too much really, but when you look at the advances in technology it's hard not to get excited about how far we've come in such a short time. When I was in college (not too long ago) we went to the computer center to type papers and actually...and if you're under the age of 25, you will have no earthly idea what I'm talking about...but we actually USED our library for research. Google? Nope. Maybe we were google-eyed, but never did we use the word "google" in a sentence. What does my rambling have anything to do with the world of design, you might be thinking? Well, that brings me to my new relationship with ipad. I didn't like him at first. In fact, he was a bit temperamental and we certainly didn't hit it off right away. But once I played with him a bit, understood (and appreciated) his quirks, I began to realize what a support system ipad would be for me. Take, for example, a home design "app" I downloaded for $5.99. HOME HD, it's called, and if you have an ipod, ipad or iphone, you can download this program, work with it and email it to a computer for printing. This app puts the world of interior space planning in the hands of anyone who, well, has hands. With a few simple swipes of your finger, you can download a room, add flooring and wall coverings, furniture, paint colors, etc. When ready, click on "3D View" and the program takes you right into the space you've created. A few days ago I came across some old renderings I made in High School of my future dream house. I could still smell the remnants of pink eraser from my hours of hard work. Today, in our home in the big apple, I created a dream kitchen plan on my ipad to someday take our humble abode and turn it into a fantasy pad!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Designing a room with HOME 3D, ten minutes
COST: the app is $5.99. An ipad starts at $499
STRESS LEVEL: Creating a cool pad on my ipad: LOW

Popular Posts