MAKE IT HAPPEN ORGANICALLY


Dear self: you're driving me insane this week! Please, whatever you do, FOCUS! Well, it happens to the best of us! You see, like many, I need my workspace to be organized and clean or it's next to impossible for me to be productive. Some call it A.D.D, I like to call it hyper-focused-organization (HFO). If an area of our house isn't clean and organized it makes me totally bonkers. Not Martha Stewart throw-scissors-at-you for using the wrong color packing tape on a box bonkers, but a mess certainly throws off my focus. Take our "home office" for example. The room doesn't feel like home nor does it look like an office. The office in the middle of a crack house, maybe, but certainly not the office of an Interior Designer. Where was I going with this? Oh yeah...Until this week the room we affectionately call the home office has been home to over a dozen cans of paint, painting materials, fabric swatches, ladders, our shop vac and hoover, spare pieces of wood, Spackle knives, dog toys and an abandoned wine fridge. It's no wonder my drawings lately come out looking like sketches by a three year old! So, I took a few days this week and de-cluttered the whole space, found proper storage areas for the paint nonsense and began to make some sense of my insanity. A loveseat moved to every wall in the room before I decided I wasn't in love with it at all, so out it went. Two chairs and a table? Why? Then it hit me. A day bed! A quick look on Craigs list and I found a twin bedframe for next to nothing and a new twin mattress (sounds totally disgusting, I know...like walking barefoot in Times Square after a parade..but a lot of lysol and a little mattress protector, and you're good to go). I popped on over to Target where I found a sale on pillows for $4.99, so I bought six (my plan is to put the twin bed against the wall and have all of the pillows layered from the wall out). As my office started to come together organically I realized I needed a new set of sheets for the daybed, so jumped in my truck and headed back to Target where I had a little shopping luck. A set of organic cotton sheets in fun colors was on sale for $14.99 (two pillow cases and flat and fitted sheets). I bought a green leaf pattern and headed home to do a little more work. After a few hours, two coats of paint and a lot of patience, I turned our sad waiting room for dying tools into an office for this design fool!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: Four hours
COST: Glidden Paint in Antique Rose: $14.99, set of Organic Sheets at Target: $14.99
STRESS LEVEL: Finally focusing long enough to finish my workspace: LOW

Popular Posts