EEK!

No matter how big, how small, where you put it or how you decorate it, the kitchen is always the hub of activity in most homes. The Christmas holiday found our kitchen, once again, a hotbed of cooking activity where family gathered, friends laughed, Joe prepared brilliant feasts and I whipped up strong cocktails and told off-colored stories. Before our festivities began I visited my other favorite kitchen, my mothers, in southern California. One early morning I crept into the kitchen to brew a cup of Joe and was startled when I heard my father squealing, "EEK EEK!" No, he wasn't chasing a mouse out of the house, he was trying to teach puppies to pee pee on a wee wee pad. Back at our pad this morning, while sipping a cup of coffee, I opened my inbox to find the picture above from our friend Ali. I screamed EEK, nearly wet my pants and had to re-read the line, "the kitchen in our new house." Believe it or not, I told her, people would pay a small fortune for that look! If you wanted to change it, however, without spending a fortune, a few simple tips could make this place look pretty hip!
STOP SCREAMING!
I hate to say it, but the Golden Girl-esque wallpaper must go! Whatever you've heard about easy removing of wallpaper, don't believe it! I've tried everything..the rolling ball with spikes only ruins the drywall underneath, spray bottle's with warm water make an even bigger mess, steamers are expensive and do more work on your face than your walls. We found STRIPPER to be the best product on the market. While it's highly toxic (take the kids and the pets for a long walk) it was the easiest way to remove nasty, old wallpaper! I'd then pick up some simple glass tiles at the home depot or Lowe's to mimic the back splash behind the stove and use that under the cabinets (for a less expensive alternative, add stainless steel or pick a paint color from the family of tiles above the stove. I'd remove the cabinet doors from the top cabinets, paint behind them and there you go. Before your dinner guests arrive you can have a kitchen to scream about!
TIME TO COMPLETE TASK: One day
COST: Can of STRIPPER $19, box of glass tiles $35, can of paint $18
STRESS LEVEL: creating a hot space without setting your wallet on fire: LOW

Popular Posts